LED packaging – technical signs and symbols
EXPLANATIONS OF SIGNS AND SYMBOLS
Some of you may ask yourself again and again what the symbols and sometimes cryptic clues on LED packaging actually mean. To help you find the answer, we have put together a small LED glossary to explain the most important signs and symbols.
Some of them are universal and standardized, which means that every manufacturer and dealer must use the same symbol. Others are free and can be represented in the way the manufacturer interprets the term.
Of course we have marked this and introduce you to the universal technical symbols and those we use at SEGULA. So there can be no mix-up or confusion!
TECHNICAL SIGNS AND SYMBOLS ON LED PACKAGING
The dimming symbols for SEGULA:
- The LED illuminant is NOT dimmable
- The LED lamp is dimmable (we regularly test suitable dimmer types for you – you can see and download them in the current dimmer list)
- SEGULA Ambient Dimming illuminant – i.e. during the dimming process not only the luminosity but also the light colour changes!
Lamp behaviour – SEGULA symbols:
- The time from switching on the lamp until 60% luminosity is reached
- The time from switching on the lamp until 100% luminosity is reached
- The watt equivalent of LED to conventional incandescent lamp
Technical features on SEGULA LED packaging:
- The beam angle – depending on the design of the lamp, this can vary considerably
- The flicker index – by using the latest technology, we at SEGULA now achieve almost “flicker-free” light sources.
- The colour temperature scale – it indicates the colour temperature of the light source. For Ambient Dimming LED illuminants a range is given.
Certificates and stamps on SEGULA LED packaging:
- CE – generally applicable: voluntary declaration by distributors and manufacturers that the products are in conformity with the laws and directives of the EU
- SEGULA original: Products with this stamp are lamps with the patented soft filament technology.
- Before mounting or installing a luminaire, please always read the operating instructions.
Warnings at SEGULA:
- Do not use the lamp in closed luminaires
- Do not touch broken lamps – risk of injury
- Protect illuminant from moisture – not suitable for outdoor use
Protection classes for luminaires – generally applicable:
- Protection class I: The luminaire is equipped with an earth cable
- Protection class II: The luminaire has a double protective insulation
- Protection class III: The light is operated with low protection voltage (accumulator, battery, solar)
Environmental symbols – generally applicable:
- The green dot: The manufacturer/dealer hereby shows that the product complies with the German packaging guidelines.
- Electrical waste: the lamp must not be disposed of in household waste. It belongs in the electronic waste collection or at a collection point.
- The recycling code shows what material the packaging is made of and thus defines the recycling cycle into which it is returned. In this case “20” – corrugated board
The EU energy label:
The EU energy label must be displayed on all LED packaging in circulation in the EU.
In 2021 there will be a fundamental change in the EU energy label requirements. We will of course keep you informed.
Besides the signs and symbols, there are of course other information on LED packaging, such as the lumen values, the socket, the size, shape and so on, which tell everything about the LED lamp.
In the SEGULA Online Shop you will find high-quality LED lamps in all variations and designs.